Dress Code Requirements
The June Lawrence School of Dance Inc. maintains a dress code to encourage concentration and a sense of inclusiveness (variations in attire can be distracting and contribute to feelings of inequality). Uniformity in dancewear allows the teachers to assess how well the students are implementing the technique being taught, problems with alignment, and other important aspects of dance training.
- Dancewear, shoes, and other belongings to be carried in a dance bag that is clearly marked with dancer’s name. All belongings to be labeled.
- Dancewear is to be kept in good repair and laundered on a regular basis.
- A dance belt must be worn from age 10 and older if needed.
- Black bras must be worn when needed.
- Tights act as undergarments; therefore, additional undergarments are not needed.
- Watches, jewelry, and safety pins should not be worn to class. (Student’s will be asked to remove them.) Small, pierced earrings are acceptable.
- Nail polish and temporary body tattoos are not to be worn to class.
- Dance shoes should never be worn outside, and students should cover up accordingly when traveling to and from the studio. (Covid excluded)
- Students with long hair should wear their hair tightly secured and styled away from the face in a neat bun. (Exception: Creative A & Creative Three and Hip Hop)
- Students are expected to observe good personal hygiene habits. Deodorant is required for students aged 10 and older.
- All classes have the same basic uniform and can be purchased at the Studio. (Hip Hop is the exception, see below).
- Acceptable JLSD Dance Uniform
- JLSD Leotard and tights or JLSD T-shirt and JLSD Shorts.
- Optional pieces:
- JLSD purple or black dance skirt
- JLSD purple wrap sweater
All uniform items are a specific to JLSD and can purchased through the
JLSD Dance Store (in person & online)
- Dance Attire for Adults in Ballet, Jazz & Tap:
Adults may wear black jazz pants/capris with yoga style top
- Dance Attire for Hip Hop:
Comfortable Street clothes (no jeans)
- Ballet: classic pink (if choosing JLSD leotard & tights)
- Ballet: black (if choosing JLSD T-shirt & JLSD shorts)
- Jazz & Musical Theatre: black leather slip on
- Tap: black patent (Creative & Mini Level); black leather lace up (Junior Level & up)
- Lyrical/Contemporary: bare feet, foot thong or half sling shoe
- Hip Hop: indoor running shoes
Dancewear may be purchased from the parent portal via our Online store